Online word of mouth is integral to any business' success in the marketplace – it’s time to discover how to maximise yours...
The number of people with smartphones
The number this is predicted to swell to by 2015
The number of people who carry out local net-based searches on a business who then go on to buy from that company within an hour
Tip: Ensure that your digital content is viewable and scaleable on mobile devices – or you risk alienating customers...
Online reviews are becoming more vital to a business' success:
70% of customers now trust online review content...
… that's an increase of 15% in four years
80% of customers will go elsewhere if they read a bad review
The stakes are high but the upside huge – for instance, companies who garner a one-star increase on Yelp will see a 5-9% increase in revenue...
[SOURCES: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2012/nielsen-global-consumers-trust-in-earned-advertising-grows.html, http://www.madisonmain.com/blog/marketing-advertising/study-says-80-percent-of-consumers-change-their-mind-after-reading-negative-reviews.html, http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/09/how-to-get-more-positive-reviews-for-your-businesses-the-honest-way/,
Tip: First of all, make sure your product is high quality but reasonably priced and that you have a great customer service department in place. Then:
… create a profile on the most popular review sites such as Google, Urbanspoon, etc. and include links to them on your website so it's easy for consumers to leave feedback.
… ask customers if they are happy with the service they received; if so, suggest that they post a review.
… thank your customer for their business via email and suggest places they can leave a review.
… spread goodwill by giving discounts to the customers who leave positive reviews.
A simple but effective method of acquiring online word of mouth is to flag up discounts and special offers only available on your website or social media channels.
of consumers tell friends if they land a great deal...
Engage with customers through social media. Remember:
- 74% of customers communicate with businesses over social media
- 62% of Fortune 500 companies have a Twitter Feed.
Tips: Ensure that you:
- Keep your social media updates, well, up-to-date! Or else your attempts will look half-hearted.
- Drive traffic to your social media through exclusive special offers and discounts; they're the kind of updates that customers will 'Share'.
- Post timely, if possible funny and engaging content; again the kind of content that will be 'Shared' by customers and could form the basis of a successful viral marketing campaign.
- React promptly to any negative feedback on your social media channels; it will show you care and are on the ball – and if handled right, can lead to increased positive online word of mouth.
[SOURCE: http://apparel.edgl.com/case-studies/Five-Easy-Steps-to-Retail-Social-Media-Engagement85513, http://img.en25.com/EloquaImages/clients/CouchAssociates/%7B647c9b37-fa77-4da7-8586-4e8c24dca2e8%7D_20130625_Brand_Loyalty_Infographic.jpg, http://www.v3im.com/2012/05/how-fortune-500-companies-use-social-media/#axzz1wI1u4hCr, http://conversionmarketingforum.com/en/blog/five-digital-channels-word-mouth-marketing]
- Make sure your online presence is mobile-friendly
- Embrace the power of online reviews; don’t shy away from them
- Offer online-only discounts to draw customers to your website and social media channels
- Exploit social media to engage with consumers.